Can't flash smaller root-fs through dfu-util?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Sun Aug 19 21:23:08 CEST 2007

After unsuccessfully flashing different root-filesystems, I finally
found this note:
> If you upload rootfs image that is smaller that previous one it
> won't work - you need to attach to bootloader, erase NAND and then
> upload your rootfs first:
>
> cu -l /dev/ttyACM0
> GTA01Bv3 # nand erase rootfs
This *should* help but I am trying to understand why dfu-util can't
do that? And what do I do if I have no serial interface? Does this
mean I can't ever again flash a (smaller) rootfs?

Or is it a design flaw of the .jffs2 file system that searches for an
END OF FILE marker instead of storing the real file allocation? Is it
possible to append some 0-bytes to the .jffs2 image?

Any known solutions?

quite puzzled,
hns