Can't flash smaller root-fs through dfu-util?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Tue Aug 21 19:40:48 CEST 2007

Am 21.08.2007 um 19:23 schrieb John Seghers:

> Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> After unsuccessfully flashing different root-filesystems, I finally
>> found this note:
>>> If you upload rootfs image that is smaller that previous one it
>>> won't work - you need to attach to bootloader, erase NAND and then
>>> upload your rootfs first:
>>>
>>> cu -l /dev/ttyACM0
>>> GTA01Bv3 # nand erase rootfs
>> This *should* help but I am trying to understand why dfu-util can't
>> do that? And what do I do if I have no serial interface? Does this
>> mean I can't ever again flash a (smaller) rootfs?
>
> I have no info on the first question, but about the serial interface.
> The commands above actually run over USB.  Simply boot the Neo into
> uBoot
> (hold the Aux button while powering on) and select the option to
> use the
> console over USB (Move selection using Aux, invoke the selection by
> pressing
> power).  Then plug in the USB cable and run the "cu" command.

Many thanks for your suggestions,
but MacOS X has no cu command :-(

And, I want to automate this all with dfu-util.

BTW: the bug tracker (bugs #419, #719, #726) says it has been solved
by a newer version of uboot - but to my experience
it is not completely solved even by an uboot compiled 19th August.

It looks like that contrary to the warnings on http://
wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Flashing_openmoko it is NOT optional.

We all should flash a newer uboot first.

Nikolaus