Can't flash smaller root-fs through dfu-util?

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Thu Aug 23 13:48:36 CEST 2007

Mike Montour wrote:

> You can use "minicom" from the Darwin Ports collection. I've added a
> section on the Wiki:
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/MacOS_X#USB_Serial

To save a few seconds, you could instead use Terminal.app
http://www.furl.net/item.jsp?id=24539982

Nikolaus continued:

On 8/22/07, Igor Foox wrote:

> The problem is that many of us don't have a debug board, and it's a
> bit scary to flash a new uboot which could brick the device. It would
> be nice if some uboot builds were "blessed" so that we know we can
> safely flash those without bricking the neo.

Even if you flash a known good u-boot image, I think you could still
brick the phone if the transfer over USB is interrupted.   Therefore
better to have access to a serial board, or stick with the old u-boot.

So u-boot upgrade is indeed optional, since the workaround is well
documented: use the u-boot console command over USB to erase the
flash.  I have no debug board, but with Linux or with AJZaurusUSB, it
is easy to get at the u-boot command line to tinker.

David