GSM Tech

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Sat Dec 15 22:23:24 CET 2007

Am 15.12.2007 um 21:53 schrieb Torsten Schlabach:

> Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>
> > * The code might be individual for each IMEI (Mobile Equipment
> > Identifier), i.e. your specific device.
>
> It is! There is no "universal" unlocking code.
>
> > * It is NOT stored on the SIM.
> > So, the phone is locked for a specific  SIM.
>
> Well, it's called SIM lock, but it's the phone which is locked, not
> the SIM. The network operator does not care what terminal equipment
> you use to make him earn money, they just

The phone is locked so that it can be used only with a specific SIM.
So, the SIM is the key to make the phone useable. Therefore, a SIM-
lock (well it should be called SIM-key).

> don't want to you create revenue for a different operator with a
> terminal (phone) they subsidized.
>
> > * It is NOT stored in the Network (Home Location Register)
>
> That wouldn't make any sense either. All other operators (not the
> one who locked the phone) would have to ban it. But they couldn't
> care less. They don't even care to block stolen phones any more AFAIK.
>
> > * So, the only remaining location can be the EEPROM/Flash of the GSM
> > module.
>
> Sorry, but I cannot follow you here. How do you come to that
> conclusion?

Well. There are two basic architectures of GSM phones.

One is a single processor system (cheap phones) which does OS, GUI
and the GSM stack. Then, there is just one EEPROM/Flash.

Or, you have a two-processor architecture (powerfull PDA phones)
where there is a GSM module and a separate application processor with
separate memory. Like the OpenMoko.

> It could as well be stored in the phone's memory. The phone's
> memory is not the same as the GSM module's memory. (If that even
> has any.)

Well, what constitutes the "phone" for you?

The GSM module in a two-processor architecture has its own flash,
RAM, EEPROM etc. where all the GSM protocols run and where the AT
command interpreter sits.

> In other words: I'd expect SIM lock to be a feature of the phone's
> operating system, not of the GSM module. I might be wrong, though ...

Why? It is a feature of the GSM security system. And - there are
modules in GSM-CF cards format. There, the operating system is called
"Windows", "Linux", "MacOS". And, they clearly have no support for
SIM-locks.

> The interesting question is: How much software and how much
> hardware is in a GSM module's chipset.

You will be astonished how much...

How many AT commands can a GSM module interpret without (internal)
software?