My new mobile

Peter Rasmussen plr at udgaard.com
Mon Dec 31 09:44:27 CET 2007

Well, I thought I'd better see what the Qtopia image has to offer and
actually, the latest release (27112007) seems to be the best working
image yet, eg. voice _and_ SMS seems to work.

The link to the archive file, Qtopia flash image for FIC Neo 1973,
mentioned below is correct:

http://www.qtopia.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=50

Get that and save it on your computer. It should be:
"qtopia-4.3.1-snapshot-1127.tgz"

Unpack it with:

tar zxvf qtopia-4.3.1-snapshot-1127.tgz

This should make you have the following two files, ie. a kernel file and
a rootfs file:

-rw-r--r-- 1 plr   1000 31956148 2007-11-27 06:55
qtopia-rootfs.2-11270550.jffs2
-rw-r--r-- 1 plr   1000  1538620 2007-11-10 20:57
uImage-2.6.22.5-moko11+svnr3238-r7-neo1973.bin

You already have a dfu-util utility, and I hope the one you have, work
with these files. I believe I have encountered situations where a rootfs
file wasn't compatible with the dfu-util at hand. I used the following
this time, and it seemed to work:

http://buildhost.automated.it/OM2007.2/dfu-util

Ensuring that you have:

1. The necessary permissions
2. dfu-util is executable
3. Your Neo is in uboot mode
4. And a USB cable is connected between your computer and the Neo
5. Realize that the following is low-level stuff and doing something
wrong may brick your Neo

execute the following from a command line:

     cu -l /dev/ttyACM0

Which should get you the following:

    Connected.
    In:    usbtty
    Out:   usbtty
    Err:   usbtty
    GTA01Bv4 # DEVICE_CONFIGURED: 1
    Enabling automatic fast charge

Press <Enter> and you should get:

    GTA01Bv4 #

At that prompt type:

    nand erase rootfs

and the <Enter> key, which should get you:

    NAND erase: device 0 offset 0x2e4000, size 0x3d1c000
    OK
    GTA01Bv4 #

At that prompt don't press anything else, but:

~.

and the <Enter> key, which should disconnect you from the bootloader.

Incidentally, what version of uboot are you running? It is the long
string appearing above "*** BOOT MENU ***" while in uboot mode that
tells you the uboot version and release name.

Now, from the computer prompt, execute the following:

./dfu-util  -a kernel -R -D uImage-2.6.22.5-moko11+svnr3238-r7-neo1973.bin

which should get you the following, and it should only take a few
seconds to finish:

dfu-util - (C) 2007 by OpenMoko Inc.
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

Opening USB Device 0x0000:0x0000...
Claiming USB DFU Runtime Interface...
Determining device status: state = appIDLE, status = 0
Device really in Runtime Mode, send DFU detach request...
Resetting USB...
Opening USB Device...
Found Runtime: [0x1457:0x5119] devnum=3, cfg=0, intf=0, alt=3, name="kernel"
Claiming USB DFU Interface...
Setting Alternate Setting ...
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
Transfer Size = 0x1000
bytes_per_hash=30772
Starting download: [##################################################]
finished!
state(2) = dfuIDLE, status(0) = No error condition is present
Done!
Resetting USB to switch back to runtime mode

After that, execute the following:

./dfu-util -a rootfs -R -D qtopia-rootfs.2-11270550.jffs2

which should get you the following, and it should take between 5-10min
to finish:

dfu-util - (C) 2007 by OpenMoko Inc.
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

Opening USB Device 0x0000:0x0000...
Claiming USB DFU Runtime Interface...
Determining device status: state = appIDLE, status = 0
Device really in Runtime Mode, send DFU detach request...
Resetting USB...
Opening USB Device...
Found Runtime: [0x1457:0x5119] devnum=5, cfg=0, intf=0, alt=5, name="rootfs"
Claiming USB DFU Interface...
Setting Alternate Setting ...
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
Transfer Size = 0x1000
bytes_per_hash=639122
Starting download: [##################################################]
finished!
state(2) = dfuIDLE, status(0) = No error condition is present
Done!
Resetting USB to switch back to runtime mode

In both cases, some text on your Neo should appear, indicating that the
kernel or the rootfs are being downloaded.

After this, the Neo should be able to boot, and depending on how you
have your boot menu set up, choose "Boot" or perhaps "Boot from NAND".
The method described above in any case puts the software on the NAND
flash, and not on an SD card, if you have that installed.

I hope this was useful, but if not, it was at least a long description :-)

In any case, I hope you and everyone else will have a great Neo Year!

Peter