Any word from TI on AT&T SIMs?

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Sun Oct 14 04:29:07 CEST 2007

On Sat, Oct 13, 2007 at 09:54:46AM -0700, ian douglas wrote:
> Harald,
>
> Is this something that OpenMoko envisions being able to distribute to end
> users themselves, or to maintenance locations?

to end users.

> In the meantime, can I just ship my phone back to you guys to update my
> firmware? ;o)

well, only our engineers can do this, and we don't have any engineers in
the US.  So the shipping would have to go to Taiwan or Europe, which is
very expensive (on the magnitude of two times 70USD), so it donesn't
make a lot of sense economically.  Also, it creates overhead on our
already very stretched R&D resources.

We're working with Ti to resolve it, we have received very good
firmware updater.  Once that has been reached, we will make an ipkg of
the firmware updater and the firmware, and distribute that to our users.

Cheers,