Fwd: SSH Confusion -- Question

Jeff Andros jeff at bigredtj.com
Fri Oct 26 02:05:43 CEST 2007

On 10/25/07, 7150 <linux.1 at litenverden.com> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> My question is, what does the tilde mean in the filename: ~/.ssh/config
>
> <snip>

in most *nix'es, "~" refers to the current user's home directory, "~joe"
refers to a user name "joe"'s home directory

normally ~/.<something> refers to a user configuration directory (for
instance, if you use pidgin, you have a ~/.purple directory where the
settings for that application are kept so in this case ~/.ssh refers to the
settings directory for your ssh client, and ~/.ssh/config refers to the
config file therein

if you're curious to find out where that is located, use "cd ~" if you don't
have your prompt set to show you the directory you're in, you can use "pwd"
to see

on a related note, since we're probably going to have a lot of people coming
in to this that are new to linux, does anyone know where there's a nice
intro to shell commands tutorial we can reference?

--
Jeff