Neo, uboot, and Bricks

Cesar Eduardo Barros cesarb at cesarb.net
Tue Sep 11 13:39:41 CEST 2007

Ricky escreveu:
> Can my Neo be bricked my messing around with the settings in uboot mode
> and writing them to flash?  What dangers are there in playing around
> with some of the settings in uboot mode?

It definitely can, see for instance the story at
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Bricked

> Finally, how will I eventually add the console=/dev/tty... back to
> bootargs_env?  By going into and editing it again - and possibly risk
> bricking it?  Or does reflashing the kernel bring it back again?

By going back and editing it; the kernel is completely separate from
that, so reflashing the kernel will make no difference at all.

> I'm not normally afraid to experiment - I just don't want to brick my
> Neo and would like to know the dangers involved here.

If you only change the bootargs, there should be no danger, since you
can still get to u-boot even if it's completely wrong. The dangerous
environment variables would be those which either prevent you from
getting into u-boot, or (as in the story mentioned above) make it not
work correctly.

--
Cesar Eduardo Barros
cesarb at cesarb.net