Anyone try the Qtopia(trolltech) release on their neo 1973?

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Thu Sep 20 03:57:22 CEST 2007

John Locke wrote:

> Giles Jones wrote:

>>> Don't you have the same problem with openmoko ?
>>>
>>> The people I talk to are always complaining about hearing themselves
>>> on the
>>> phone.
>>>
>> There's a sidechain slider on the mixer, dropping that helps, it's on
>> the first page. I can't remember the exact name without looking.
>>

> I got the echo to disappear by turning the sidetone slider down in
> alsamixer - now it sounds like every other cell phone I have, according
> to people I talk with.

Ya, I forgot to update the correct alsa state in the released flash
image. That, and audio state switching in Qtopia doesn't seem to be
working all that correctly in this version. Was fine 3 weeks ago.

> I'm not finding yesterday's release to be particularly stable, however.
> The screen turns off after 20 seconds, and at some point after that
> power management kicks in and the device apparently suspends. Sometimes
> it comes back by clicking the AUX key, but more often the screen flashes
> a couple times and then the gui restarts. Once this has happened, calls
> aren't reliable anymore--even though it shows a connection to my
> carrier, it won't place a call.

Known issue. Sorry. For whatever reason, the modem starts spitting out
junk when Qtopia suspends. We are looking for a fix. Just disable
suspending, and keep an eye on the battery status.

The screen dimming issue has been mostly fixed, so this will be included
in the next update. There are qtopia 4.3.0 source snapshots available.

Development for the Neo is a bit slow right now, as we only have one
device between the systems group and the ui group, until the other Neo
gets back from Madrid.

> You can restart Qtopia, and then the network re-connects and I can
> dial--but after doing this, while I can hear others speak, they can't
> hear me. Had it out and about today, so I don't know if the Mic volume
> was turned down or what--but it all starts working again after a reboot...
>
> Definitely miss the console app, the media player, and the feed reader,
> but it's definitely an improvement for using it as a phone at the moment...

We couldn't distribute Helix because we don't have permission to
distribute the binaries, otherwise you could use that. There is a helix
source tarball for Qtopia at helixcommunity but it hasn't been updated
for 4.3 yet.

Qtopia can also use gstreamer, but that doesn't seem to work all that
well, and it's not very well tested in Qtopia. I will do some work on
this though

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Software Engineer, Systems Group, MES, Trolltech