Uptime?

Kevin Dean kevin at foreverdean.info
Sat Apr 5 05:53:00 CEST 2008

I have to say with all due respect that this issue is far from
resolved. Firstly, comparison between a Neo device and "some other"
device is going to be unfair at best. Nobody bought a Neo1973
expecting it to be perfect - the "developer" warning meant we
understood there MIGHT be hardware defects.

That said, I think it is TOTALLY fair to ask for all of the
information we can get. Right now, the software is decently stable.
It's moderately functional. For many people the very real limitation
to Neo being "viable" is battery life.

As it stands now, there's been NO confirmation from Openmoko Inc. on
this issue. I heard there was SOME firmware bug that prevented the
power management unit from sending a shutdown signal when the battery
was low, and I am under the impression that there is no userspace
power management software but both of these assumptions are "word of
mouth".

I think we ALL would like some definiative word either way. For me,
knowing there was a hardware defect would be just fine - you can't
learn without mistakes. But not knowing, and feeling as if there's no
attempt as resolution, is grating.

IS there anyone who has authority to make an official announcement on
this, even if it's a "We're still looking into this" ?

-Kevin Dean