GPS Sight - why doesn't it work?

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 21:01:30 CEST 2008

Hello,

Ok, today I found out what the problem was. Easy, but a bit
embarrassing: I hadn't turned on the GPS via the GPS indicator gadget
in the top panel. Oops!
Once I did that and went outside, the GPS started getting satellite
data within seconds.

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 11:23 PM, Marcus Bauer <marcus.bauer at gmail.com> wrote:
>  There is the problem already: /tmp/nmeaNP is a FIFO, = first in first
>  out. Only two processes should have it open, one that writes and one
>  that reads.

>From personal experience today - this doesn't seem to be correct. Even
if gpsd holds a read lock on the fifo, GPS Sight is also able to read
from it. The fifo(7) man page under Linux (Ubuntu) also seems to
indicate this: "A FIFO special file (a named pipe) is similar to a
pipe, except that it is accessed as part of the file system.  It can
be opened  by  multiple processes  for  reading or writing."

Anyway, at work indoor the GPS got a fix easily. It seems a bit harder
here in my apartment, I'll leave it on for a bit and see if it gets a
fix.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen