How to tell if the phone is registered on the network?

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 15:45:27 CEST 2008

Ok, I'm still running the April 04 snapshot.
Now I have got a SIM-card in the phone (prepaid).
When the phone started, it asked for my PIN, I keyed it in and after a
while the icon for the GSM network (next to the battery icon) changed
- it loooks like I'm connected to the network. On the left of the top
meny / tray it still says "Registering..."
There doesn't seem to be a way from the GUI to tell if I'm online (GSM) or not?

Also I verified that gsmd is running:
root at om-gta01:~# ps ax | grep gsmd
 1167 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/gsmd gsmd -p /dev/ttySAC0 -s
115200 -F -d -l syslog
 1329 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep gsmd

And I tried using libgsmd-tool[1] with the shell mode. That should work, right?
But all commands just ... does nothing, like this:
gp
# Get PIN status

# P
Read current opername

My goal is to see if I can get GPRS working, so that I can download
maps for tangoGPS while I'm mobile.