Picture viewer?

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sun Feb 10 04:38:29 CET 2008

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008, Stroller wrote:

> On 8 Feb 2008, at 23:42, Clarke Wixon wrote:
>
>> Michael 'Mickey' Lauer <mickey at ...> writes:
>>
>>> ipkg install gpe-gallery.
>>
>> . . . which works, but is s-l-o-w when reading 8 megapixel digicam
>> pictures, for
>> example.  Probably with sanely-sized pictures it would be quite a bit
>> better.
>
> Please excuse me if this is a naive question, but isn't any image viewer
> going to be slow, dealing with 8 megapixel pictures, running on a 200mhz
> - 400mhz processor?

Not to mention eight megabytes of I/O from the micro-SD slot.  I don't
have my Neo on-hand, but it'd be great to see some performance numbers
that can indicate what sort of performance is reasonable to expect.

> I'd guess that the GPU's hardware might be used to accelerate image
> resizing in GTA02, but ...
>
> IMO you might be better off writing a bash script on your main machine
> that uses ImageMagick to resize the images, then copy them across.

Yes - and in fact, JPEG supports embedded thumbnails that should not even
require you to read the whole image as I feared is the major time sink
(and certainly not require you to actually decode the whole image).

-- Asheesh.

--
Start the day with a smile.  After that you can be your nasty old self again.