TaskFailed when using MokoMakefile

John Lee john_lee at openmoko.com
Wed Feb 20 10:26:15 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 04:41:56PM +1030, Rod Whitby wrote:
> Erin Yueh wrote:
>
> The person who changed the stable openmoko repo to use the 2.6.24 kernel
> should have changed the sane-srcrevs file at the same time.  To not do
> so is to break the stable openmoko branch, causing pain for hundreds of
> openmoko developers.
>
> It's either a stable branch or it's not.
>
> If it is going to be a stable branch, then the person doing the mtn pull
> from OE to OM must *not* use moko-autorev but *must* use sane-srcrevs only.
>
> If it's not going to be a stable branch (i.e. if OpenMoko engineers are
> not going to honor the requirement to make sure that sane-srcrevs does
> actually configure a working build and a booting phone), then just drop
> the whole separate OM repository idea altogether and use OE.dev directly.
>
> -- Rod

Yeah, that will be me.  I forgot to update sane-srcrev.inc when I
switched to 2.6.24.  That should be fixed by now.

Personally I think there are obvious differences between using the
OE.dev or OM repo.  We got several possible changing factors here:

1) OE.dev metadata for OM dependencies.
2) upstream projects that OM depends on.
3) metadata for stuffs in OM.
4) codes in OM.

As a project, I think it's common to control outside dependency by
tracing stable versions only, so we can focus on developing inside the
project.  Just because sane-srcrev.inc is not up-to-date does not make
using OE.dev directly a better solution.

However, I do think using different repositories with the same branch
isn't the right solution.  There should be different branches such as
OE.stable and OE.dev, and we should be using OM branch tracing
OE.stable or even better, use OE.stable directly.

Since monotone wasn't very good at this and OE does not have stable
branch yet, we could not do so when we setup OM repo monthes ago.  I
do think it might be a good idea to make OM a different branch, either
in OM repo or OE repo.

Regarding the moko-autorev.inc: I think we're still under heavy
development.  Since there's no stable release yet, I would just
encourage people using moko-autorev.inc directly for now, like these
on the buildhost.

Just my personal opinion.

Regards,
John