Daily use of Neo1973

Shawn Rutledge shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 00:51:05 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Tilman Baumann <tilman at baumann.name> wrote:
>  Tough the last word on how to configure usb-net ips is probably not
>  yet spoken. (have to staticly set ips on host at the moment)
>  But this is a different story...

Of course it's possible to use DHCP over USB; I did it a while back
with Gumstix.  Or maybe the ZeroConf way would work: it would try DHCP
first, and if that times out then the address will be 169.something,
and maybe you can just use mDNS to discover it.  (you did install
nss-mdns on your Linux box right?)  Even though I have my phone
configured with a fixed IP, mDNS is working fine because avahi is
already available on OpenMoko; Angstrom and Maemo also have mDNS
responders (but I forget on which ones I had to install it myself).
So I can just "ssh moko", "ssh n770" etc. regardless how they are
connected (the 770 is on wifi).

On Windows you can install Bonjour, but I'm not sure what the default
IP address would be for Windows' RNDIS driver, or what hoops you'd
have to jump through to get Windows to offer DHCP service to USB
devices.