Daily use of Neo1973

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Thu Feb 21 02:14:10 CET 2008

Am 21.02.2008 um 00:51 schrieb Shawn Rutledge:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Tilman Baumann
> <tilman at baumann.name> wrote:
>> Tough the last word on how to configure usb-net ips is probably not
>> yet spoken. (have to staticly set ips on host at the moment)
>> But this is a different story...
>
> Of course it's possible to use DHCP over USB; I did it a while back
> with Gumstix.  Or maybe the ZeroConf way would work: it would try DHCP
> first, and if that times out then the address will be 169.something,
> and maybe you can just use mDNS to discover it.

Nah. Not quite.
mDNS has nothing to do with address selection, only service discovery
and browsing.

Address selection should be dhcp and as fallback linklocal auto
config. (almost every os does that, including stupid windows)
DHCP allows to use routing. Every port with internet sharing or
however your os calls it will have dhcp.

mDNS for service discovery for every net service. Of course. :)
(Greatest invention ever, this protocol. Well sot of...)

I guess thats how you meant it anyway. :)