Proper Python Audio mechanisms

Kurtis Heimerl kheimerl at cs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 22 05:04:36 CET 2008

Hello Device owners!

I've bugged this list about this topic once before, but I couldn't
figure anything in particular out, so I've decided to try again.

I'm running a python application that needs Audio input and output.
What is the appropriate mechanism for doing this? My current plan is
to build the pyALSA package, as the wiki has a few applications using
ALSA. However, many other applications (MadPlay for instance) use the
older linux audio infrastructure. (/dev/dsp)

What does this list think is the best way to get microphone input and
speaker output from a python application?

Thanks!