Daily Snapshot Reviews

Peter Rasmussen plr at udgaard.com
Thu Jan 31 19:31:16 CET 2008

John Lee wrote:

> First of all, thanks for the great idea of testing the daily build.
> Help like this is just great because we're so short of developers.
> The daily build is replaced everyday because I make it build from
> scratch everyday and the TMPDIR is so huge that I cannot keep every
> copies.  I'll try to work on that.
>
> Cheers,
> John

I would the like to ask if it is then possible to structure this testing
even more, and have the following would be great:

1. A way to see what actually changes between builds.
2. A way to see what the present focus is of developers.
3. Not on a personal level, but I would like to know if feature-A is
being worked on, and feature-B is on standby, while bug-A will have to
wait for bug-B to be fixed, etc.
4. Request for the following features that will help testing:
   A. A way to see the release version of both u-boot, kernel and
rootfs, on a running system. If I need to open a terminal and issue a
command, that will be fine.
   B. An update (probably) to u-boot that will accept multiple kernel
and rootfs on the same SD/SDHC card.
   C. An update (probably) to u-boot that will accept upload of a tar
file or some other prepared image, directly to the SD/SDHC card, while
in bootloader more, and be able to specify the root directory from where
to unpack.

I prefer to have rootfs images put on the SD/SDHC card, as that is one I
can change when it is worn out, whereas I can't change the one inside
the Neo. Technically I would have designed the Neo (or any other mobile
that has flash-card capability) so all flash was on the removable card.
It should make production cheaper as update to units were only dependent
on exchanging the flash card.

However, all this would make testing more productive, and as resources
are apparently lacking we'll need to do something :-)

Would it be possible to have a thicker information way between testers
and the developers, and if not directly, then to a liason?

I may be missing information about what is going on, but to me it still
seems very like an ad-hoc type of developing the Neo/OpenMoko platform,
and that is a pity.

Peter