Booting from SD Card using FreeRunner (as shipped)?

Simon Moore simon at snmoore.net
Fri Jul 4 08:30:36 CEST 2008

Hi,

As an experiment, I was trying to see if I can get a FreeRunner (as
shipped) to boot new images from the SD Card i.e. without having to
resort to dfu-util, as not everyone has Linux PCs ready to run dfu-util.

Currently, I'm having no success, and I'm beginning to wonder if I'm
just very stupid, or if the uBoot as shipped on the FreeRunner is a
little suspect?

I've tried using instructions (and variations thereof) from here:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Boot_from_sd_card
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Booting_from_SD

I'm generally running into two problems:

1. Nothing I've tried allows it to successfully mount the rootfs e.g.
from /dev/mmcblk0p2 (using FAT+ext2 partitions on the SD Card)

2. 'savenv' appears to fail - it does an Erase, then drops back to the
uBoot prompt; I've only ever had it once do an Erase...Write cycle

If you have got this to work, could you share details on your
partitioning and uBoot environment variables etc.

Thanks,
Simon
--
Simon Moore