Experience qtopia-x11 (ASU) on gta01

Daniel Mewes danielmewes at onlinehome.de
Thu Jun 12 12:48:10 CEST 2008

Hello Tilman,

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 16:40 +0200, Tilman Baumann wrote:
> No Apps beside Asassin, Campwifi and Exposure even start!
> (Maybe because disk is full?)
> Diversity Maps stared on the last version i tried before. (but no gps,
> but had no gllin installed)
> Campwifi is useless on gta01.

I had the exact same problem with some earlier ASU image on my GTA01.
That was even with some free space on /. I found out that when started
over a SSH session, every QT app segfaulted when started, thus only
non-QT apps like Asassin and the like worked. (Bug #1431)
Later I compiled my own built using MokoMakefile and it worked. It also
installed less applications into the image by default, thus there was a
bit more free space on root.

However I experienced another problem with QPE. It crashed after a few
seconds of running with some timezone conversion error. It usually run
long enough to let the PIN dialog appear, but not long enough to run any
other QT application afterwards.
Thus I put "export TZ=Berlin" (which is my timezone)
into /etc/X11/Xsession.d/89Qtopia and this also worked.
Linking /etc/localtime did not help here.

If you are interested, I could provide some working image on my
webspace.

I'm also using an Mwester kernel from http://moko.mwester.net/ with
early resume by GSM functionality. My GTA01 is now nearly useful as a
phone (calling works, volume is quite good by default already, SMS
works), although power consumption is still very high. What still is a
big problem however is the time it takes on an incoming call until
something is displayed on the screen and vibration+ring tone starts.
Especially of course if the Neo was suspended before. Thus at the moment
I would probably still miss most calls. :-(

But I'm sure this can be fixed, perhaps even with simple measures like
prelinking (didn't test that however).

By the way I'm quite impressed with the visual perfomance of the X11
based ASU on GTA01! This IMO nearly matches the Moko undeground stack,
which uses direct framebuffer access as far as I know.

Best regards,

Daniel Mewes

--
Daniel Mewes (daniel at danielmewes.dnsalias.net)
Phone: 0800 DAMEWES (3263937; from inside Germany, I call back)
Pager: danielmewes at mairgate.de