Getting GPRS working in New Zealand

Peter Harrison cheetah100 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 22:58:17 CET 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm just dropping a line here so there is a record of a solution I found for
GPRS in New Zealand on the Vodafone network, as I had terrible trouble
getting things configured. I also had trouble with the scripts on the
OpenMoko wiki which didn't really work.

First of all I have a script for starting GPRS which turns off gsmd, as gsmd
apparently conflicts with pppd. Note that this script almost certainly
disables your Neo's phone functions.

/etc/init.d/gsmd stop
echo "1" > /sys/bus/platform/devices/gta01-pm-gsm.0/power_on
chown uucp.uucp /dev/ttySAC0
stty -F /dev/ttySAC0 crtscts
pppd call gprs

This was prepared by looking at the manually setting up GSM on the OpenMoko
wiki. I also wrote my own chat script which is similar to the one on the
Wiki, but corrects a few problems:

#!/bin/sh -e
exec chat -v\
        ABORT BUSY\
        ABORT DELAYED\
        ABORT "NO ANSWER"\
        ABORT "NO DIALTONE"\
        ABORT VOICE\
        ABORT ERROR\
        ABORT RINGING\
        TIMEOUT 60\
        "" +++\
        AT ATZ\
        OK ATE1\
        OK AT+CFUN=1\
        OK AT+COPS\
        OK AT+CGDCONT=1,\"IP\",\"live.vodafone.com\"\
        OK ATD*99***2#\
        CONNECT /n/d

Note here that the phone number is "*99***2", not "*99#" - this is critical
to making a internet connection vs just making a WAP connection, at least on
the NZ vodafone network.

For connection diagnosis the section on the wiki dealing with manually
setting up GSM was useful. The following script will connect to the modems
AT command system and allow you to manually enter commands. This will allow
you to experiment if for any reason the chat script above doesn't work for
you.

/etc/init.d/gsmd stop
echo "1" > /sys/bus/platform/devices/gta01-pm-gsm.0/power_on
chown uucp.uucp /dev/ttySAC0
stty -F /dev/ttySAC0 crtscts
cu -l /dev/ttySAC0

By the way, you may all be interested in what I'm doing with the OpenMoko.
I'm using it as the brains in a robot; a autonomous marine vehicle.

My blog on progress is here:
http://www.devcentre.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=68&Itemid=44

Youtube videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NUJ4dnI-54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab8tF5bYF-k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9wtjRpL7tA

Also I'm going to make all the command and control software available as
open source. Its all written in Python.