GPRS and GPS

Peter Harrison cheetah100 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 11:10:18 CET 2008

First of all, I wrote some scripts to get GPRS working. All seemed to work
fine on the last official build from November 2007. I started with the GPRS
instructions off the Wiki, but there were some mistakes which I have
corrected. I also wrote a small script for the startup which looks like
this:

/etc/init.d/gsmd stop
echo "1" > /sys/bus/platform/devices/gta01-pm-gsm.0/power_on
chown uucp.uucp /dev/ttySAC0
stty -F /dev/ttySAC0 crtscts
pppd call gprs

When I moved to one of the more recent builds there was a change which meant
the gta01... line had to be modified to point to neo1973....
echo "1" > /sys/bus/platform/devices/neo1973-pm-gsm.0/power_on

However, now I get the following line in /var/log/messages when running the
script:
user.info kernel: neo1973-pm-gsm neo1973-pm-gsm.0: powering up GSM, thus
disconnecting serial console
... and the script fails to start the GPRS connection. Also, I can't get
access to the modem AT commands any longer.

Anyone having more luck with GPRS on recent builds? Is there something I am
missing?