Daily Snapshot Review 27 March 2008

Kevin Dean kevin at foreverdean.info
Thu Mar 27 19:57:45 CET 2008

My full review can be found at
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Snapshot_review/2008-03-27 and the list
of all reviews I've done at
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Category:SnapshotReview.

Today's image is a good one!

It may not seem very obvious from my reviews since they show only
tiny, incrimental improvments as well as occasional large breakages,
the overall stability of the images has greatly improved. Taking an
image from mid-January, for instance, is quite a bit more unstable
than the images over the past few weeks have been.

Today we see a few changes. Probably the biggest change is the
introduction of the "Add to Contacts" button in Dialer's call history.
This makes adding new contacts particularly easy.

Secondly, today is the first time I've noticed that clicking on the "1
Missed Call" status box (or similar) actually CLOSES that box. This is
one thing that's always irked me but I've left it out (like other
things) because it works. :P Seeing that clicking the missed call box
doesn't require me to delete the missed call record made me quite
happy.

Also, the keypad background changes have made it into the images, so
the dialer and the keypad will look a bit different. :)

Finally, while it's not a change in the functionality of the software,
the kernel images have been split for the Neo (GTA01) and the
Freerunner (GTA02). The links in my review SHOULD point to the proper
image, but anyone pulling directly from buildhost should double-check
to avoid a download and flash that fails.

My recommendation today is that users update to today's image
(http://buildhost.openmoko.org/daily/neo1973/deploy/glibc/images/neo1973/OpenMoko-openmoko-devel-image-glibc-ipk-P1-Snapshot-20080327-fic-gta01.rootfs.jffs2)
and the most recent GTA01 kernel
(http://buildhost.openmoko.org/daily/neo1973/deploy/glibc/images/neo1973/uImage-2.6.24+svnr4244-r4251-r5-fic-gta01.bin).

-Kevin Dean