Wake up from GSM on GTA01

Daniel Mewes danielmewes at onlinehome.de
Sat May 3 18:12:08 CEST 2008

Hello everybody,

I'm reading more and more reports of Neos that are able to wake up from
suspend on incoming calls. My GTA01Bv4 never did however.
My installed kernel is 2.6.24+git20080430-r0 and I'm using an up to date
user land (as loaded from
http://buildhost.openmoko.org/daily/neo1973/deploy/glibc/ipk/).

My u-boot environment looks as following:
GTA01Bv4 # printenv
baudrate=115200
bootcmd=setenv bootargs ${bootargs_base} ${mtdparts}; nand read.e
0x32000000 kernel; bootm 0x32000000
menu_1=Set console to USB: setenv stdin usbtty; setenv stdout usbtty;
setenv stderr usbtty
menu_2=Set console to serial: setenv stdin serial; setenv stdout serial;
setenv stderr serial
menu_3=Power off: neo1973 power-off
menu_4=Boot from SD: setenv bootargs root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootdelay=5
console=ttySAC0,115200 console=tty0 loglevel=8 ${mtdparts} ro; mmcinit;
ext2load mmc 0 0x32000000 /boot/${sd_image_name}; bootm 0x32000000
mtdids=nand0=neo1973-nand
mtdparts=mtdparts=neo1973-nand:0x00040000(u-boot),0x00004000(u-boot_env),0x00200000(kernel),0x000a0000(splash),0x03d1c000(rootfs)
sd_image_name=uImage
splashimage=nand read.e 0x32000000 splash 0x5000; unzip 0x32000000
0x33d00000 0x96000
usbtty=cdc_acm
boot_menu_timeout=180
stdin=usbtty
stdout=usbtty
stderr=usbtty
quiet=0
bootdelay=2
bootargs_base=rootfstype=jffs2 root=/dev/mtdblock4 console=
dyntick=enable
partition=nand0,0
mtddevnum=0
mtddevname=u-boot
pcf50606_int1=0x40

My neo does neither wake up on incoming calls nor on SMS, but when I
wake it up manually (using the power or AUX button), the UART buffer ist
flushed correctly and the missing calls and/or messages are signaled.

What I found to be interesting is the following odd behaviour:
When I use gsm manually by the following steps:
1. Stop GSMD via /etc/init.d/gsmd stop
2. power up modem via sysfs interface
3. cu -l /dev/ttySAC0
4. (on another console) stty -F /dev/ttySAC0 crtscts
5. registering the modem to the network using AT commands

and then suspend and (manually) wake up the neo, some garbage (obviously
coming from the kernel, but not appearing in dmesg) seems to be send to
the modem, since this responds with error messages. This happens
although I disabled the console on this device via u-boot. Also none of
the files in /etc contain any entry pointing to /dev/ttySAC0 (apart from
GSMD configuration), so there seems to be no hidden logging or something
started from user land, too. However GSMD does not seem to have any
problem with those garbage.

Since I flashed current rootfs and kernel images and also using a recent
u-boot version (1.3.2-rc2), my only idea left is that something must be
wrong with my u-boot setting. Could somebody send me their u-boot
environment of a gta01 with working GSM wakeup?
I'm slowly considering a hardware fault in my specific Neo. :-(

Best regards,

Daniel Mewes

--
Daniel Mewes (daniel at danielmewes.dnsalias.net)
Phone: 0800 DAMEWES (3263937; from inside Germany, I call back)
Pager: danielmewes at mairgate.de