Daily Snapshot Review 07 May 2008

Kevin Dean kevin at foreverdean.info
Wed May 7 20:36:58 CEST 2008

My full review can be found at
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Snapshot_review/2008-05-07 and the list
of reviews at http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Category:SnapshotReview

In general, I see no change between this image and the last one I
reviewed (01 May 2008). Even the first boot time was less than a
second different. I see no apparent application changes.

I should note that over this weekend my wife had a chat with me about
not answering my phone. I'm glad she did because it revealed what I
consider to be a VERY big problem. It appears that over the last few
weeks, if the Neo1973 sits for several hours, the GSM system (not sure
if it's hardware or software) shuts down. The userspace applications
don't reflect this though, so they still show me connected to T-Mobile
and the signal strength indicator still shows "bars". However, after
the systems shutdown, no incoming or outgoing SMS or calls work.

I've updated the reviews to reflect this, and a bug report has been filed.

I'm slightly torn over this too, because it's pretty clear to me that
this has been the case over the past few weeks, if not longer. I would
NOT recommend today's image because of this but not knowing exactly
when the issue began, I'm not sure it's safe to recommend image for
"everyday" use.

-Kevin Dean