Which bootsplash method will be used in openmoko?

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.kabel.utwente.nl
Fri Feb 16 20:58:36 CET 2007

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer schreef:
> Hi Koen,
>
>> [after some debate I decided distro-devel would be a better place as om-devel to ask]
>
> Wise decision. OpenMoko-devel is for openmoko specific applications,
> bootsplash is definitely more distro level here.

Good :)

>> I was reading about using u-boot to display a bootsplash, which is a pretty neat idea, but
>> it has 2 downsides:
>
>> 1) it's bound to u-boot, which is OK for the neo, but not for other machines
>> 2) it doesn't allow a progressbar
>
> The bootsplash issue has a couple of layers. We have to distinguish
> between U-Boot bootup, Kernel bootup, Userland bootup (read: sysinit).
>
> We definitely want to use U-Boot bootsplash, since loading the uImage
> from flash takes a while. We then want to keep this displayed during
> kernel display (hence overriding the default penguin/konsole) right
> until init kicks in. What we do then is open for discussion. psplash
> sounds like a good option, however since the init system is probably
> going to be substituted anyway (sysvinit is unbearably slow, i'm
> leaning towards runit or upstart), it needs to be considered after we
> decided on the init system.

While sysvinit is certainly slow, I doubt you will make booting much faster, since jffs2
is slow and the cpu isn't terribly fast. But lets measure first, bootchart is in OE.

>> I made a mockup using psplash in a spare minute:
>> http://dominion.kabel.utwente.nl/koen/cms/theming-psplash-for-openmoko
>
> Sweet!
>
> For phase 0 and 1, I'd appreciate seeing psplash in OpenMoko -- your
> work looks like a good starting point. Could you take care about the
> gray line and the progress bar position as well?

I think the position can be fixed with changing line 69 and 245 of psplash.c:

y      = fb->height - (fb->height/6) + 4;
	 fb->height - (fb->height/6),

But mallum would know best.

> P.S. It might make sense to open up a bugzilla entry for the
> bootsplash situation.

I'll open a bug and attach the generated image header.

regards,

Koen