Which bootsplash method will be used in openmoko?

Peter Whittaker pwwnow at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 13:52:41 CET 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 20:45 +0100, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> The bootsplash issue has a couple of layers. We have to distinguish
> between U-Boot bootup, Kernel bootup, Userland bootup (read: sysinit).
>
> the init system is probably going to be substituted anyway (sysvinit
> is unbearably slow, i'm leaning towards runit or upstart)

I was going to suggest upstart (great minds thinking alike?) for two
reasons: 1) it is designed to be faster than sysvinit, and 2) it is
designed to be event based. Point 1 speaks directly to the concern with
the slowness of sysinit, while point 2, IMHO, simply makes more sense in
an event driven platform like a phone.

upstart is also designed for the world of hot-pluggable devices (hence
its event-driven nature); at this point, that would probably be more
"future proofing" than anything else, but it does - potentially - allow
us to risk manage certain future design choices.

For example, as components become more modular, pluggable, and
intelligent, an OpenMoko based phone could conceivably be expanded into
something "even smarter" than a smartphone through the use of
specific-purpose hardware modules.

Having an event-based userland init system would seem to allow a
graceful inclusion path for that world. A traditional sequential init
system would likely not be as flexible.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReplacementInit has a good overall intro to the
ideas behind upstart, while http://upstart.ubuntu.com/ is its official
home (the former contains enough information to allow the reader to
decide whether or not they want to explore the latter).

Full disclosure: I'm a committed ubuntero -
https://launchpad.net/~pwwnow - though I am not affiliated with
Canonical or formally associated with Ubuntu in any way. Just a guy
who's had the FLOSS epiphany and chosen Ubuntu as my path to that end.

And who thinks that the phone desperately needs liberation.

pww