Qtopia Phone Licensing Issue

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Tue Apr 1 21:46:16 CEST 2008

Lorn Potter wrote:
> Tilman Baumann wrote:

>>> Not insane reasons at all, just not known to you. We have perfectly
>>> legitimate reasons for doing thing this.

>>> The reason for this, is that our customers wanted one package, and
>>> did not want to have to hunt around the net for these. As well, we
>>> wanted to provide specific versions known to work.
>>
>> I don't know. Aren't your customers developers?
>
> Our customers are businesses that employ developers, not the developers
> themselves.
They pay the bills (and make dump requests about self contained build
systems?), but the people who use it are coders. *g*

>> (At least all experienced linux developers i know. Including me.)
>
> Let's see...choose between just one download package that is known to
> work, or try and hunt around the net for several packages (and
> dependencies) that may or may not work.. hmmmm....
Works 99%.
And it only takes little experience to find problems or to know where to
expect them.
Almost every opensource project works this way. And they usually work fine.
And if not, most of the pain will be taken away from the distributors
anyway.

I would rather have a INSTALL text with suggested versions which i can
_choose_ to use. Or a overexcited configure script that cries about
missing dependencies and versions.

I don't think most of your dependencies are so exotic that they are not
already installed on a typical development machine anyway.

I give you credit, building multimedia libs tends to suck very hard.
This might be a point where i would like to use a set of pre made libs.
But i like to choose.

I choose the libs on my system wisely, and i hate if something needlsly
thinks it knows better...
If it would tell me
"this will not work with your version ox XY, i really need this
version... Please install or let me do it for you",
i would be thankful for the support.
But if something (needlessly) forces decisions on me i get really mad.

>> Without wanting to point fingers, whenever i see something like this
>> it is usually a lame excuse for not having a working build system.
>> Enough, it's really not about accusations but rather to tell you that
>> i disagree completely.
>
> Thats fine, but you do (most likely) not have our customers. They asked
> for an easier way to download qt + qtopia + extra stuff, and that is
> what we provided.

Ok, if you are sure about this. Trolltech might then be the first
company that made this decision based on educated opinions and real
demand. *g*

I might even be a bit biased because i work at a company where we
maintain our own distribution. And _every time_ we get a software
package that is self-contained we have trouble with it.
But there you have my opinion. :)

Regards
  Tilman