Openmoko build infrastructure questions

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Wed Apr 16 15:38:53 CEST 2008

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> >---2 "building with a cross-compiler is wrong,

I think one big problem is that, while OE is a meta-distribution,
many people seem to think of it as build system, i.e., "make"
becomes "bitbake".

All the overhead of OE probably makes perfect sense for a
distribution maker who can devote major resources into the care
and feeding of OE, but for more casual users, it's a nightmare.

So I think the first step to reduce the number of complaints
would be to make sure people write their code such that it can
compile and even cross-compile without OE.

BTW, I consider autotools an abomination as well. They solve a
problem that has started to vanished more than a decade ago,
namely wildly diverging programming environments, but have now
grown so complex and fragile that it's now often them who create
the problems in otherwise trivial builds.

- Werner