Openmoko build infrastructure questions

Graeme Gregory graeme at openmoko.org
Wed Apr 16 16:10:44 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 02:48:03PM +0100, Andy Green wrote:
> What I do think to myself is: this is not an "embedded device".  This is
> a PC of a few years ago and the packageset complexity shows it.  And we
> barely got started with userspace packages we will offer.  Yet somehow
> we use an "embedded" chain whose natural output is a rootfs.  The
> package system is not comparable to .deb or RPM, I mention again the
> - -devel issue.

Hmm, you must be confused, to turn an ipk into a deb mv blah.ipk blah.deb
and to turn a deb into an ipk mv blah.deb blah.ipk.

So where is the package system deficient?

Or do you mean we dont generate the right packages, well we do make
-dev packages and people use them for on device development.

Graeme