Openmoko build infrastructure questions

Mark Brown broonie at sirena.org.uk
Wed Apr 16 19:16:58 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 05:25:39PM +0200, Holger Freyther wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 April 2008 17:01:18 Andy Green wrote:
> > Somebody in the thread at some point said:

> > | 	- IIRC debian disabled buildd's due issues with qemu (more than the
> > | philosophy)

> > I googled around about these, I didn't see about it on the Wikipedia
> > entry or another link about ARM-specific QEMU from there.

> I mostly watched this on planet.debian.org back then. I think this blog
> http://blog.aurel32.net/?p=33 kicked it of. And even there he is talking
> about strange failures. Uploads by his buildd were disabled shortly
> afterwards. :)

That's not actually what was going on there - no official Debian buildd
has ever been emulated.

The "strange failures" mentioned in Aurelien's blog post were on a real
ARM box then used as a buildd (a rather old one that had been working
much harder than it might ever have expected to).  He then decided to
start uploading packages built by himself on an emulated ARM system,
unfortunately not coordinating with the ARM buildd maintainers, which
resulted in ARM uploads by anyone not an ARM buildd maintainer being
disabled.  The considerations driving that decision did include concerns
about possible problems from emulation but weren't restricted to that at
all.