Openmoko build / R&D vs Integration

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Thu Apr 17 00:34:25 CEST 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> I spoke several times about Openmoko not being able to afford to be in
> the R&D game.

You know that we have several activities that are even plain "R",
where the "D" aspect actually causes distractions. I also don't
think this is such a big deal - we just have to understand better
what we're doing.

> See the Glamo as what happens when we play R&D with even drivers.

Well, that's a different story. The same problems would have hit
us if we had gotten some drivers ready to use, because we wouldn't
have found out about most of the issues before building the hardware.
One thing that went wrong is that work on the X server started way
too late.

I'll leave the distribution-making side for others to argue. I only
dislike OE if it tries to get into my hair. Besides that, it seems
like a well-established choice with broad community support that
gets the job (I think) it's designed for done.

- Werner