Openmoko build / Rebuild vs -dev

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at openmoko.com
Fri Apr 18 04:36:47 CEST 2008

Mickey,
let's attempt to find some kind of 'Openmoko consensus' out of this
discussion:

OpenEmbedded is a tool to build distributions. One step _before_ the
distribution. If Openmoko wants to come out with unique devices one
day, targeting for example a new (non-ARM) CPU, OpenEmbedded will give
us the flexibility to quickly target that environment.
Moblin/Ubuntu Mobile is not an alternative right now, despite signs of
support nobody from Intel stepped up in this thread to make a case for
their platform and build environment.
OpenEmbedded is not tied to a particular package format, opkg is just
Openmoko's current choice.
We have identified two major weaknesses in Openmoko's current use of
OpenEmbedded, details of which may be connected to weaknesses or
missing features in OpenEmbedded:

1. -dev packages
2. Poky SDK

Richard Purdie expects to contribute several improvements connected to
these areas over the next few months, Holger Freyther will merge some
of the meta-toolchain improvements from Poky into Openmoko.
Over the next 1-2 months, Openmoko will switch away from monotone and
start using git for the OpenEmbedded metadata.

Overall we expect that 1) OpenEmbedded gets stronger and 2) Openmoko
makes better use of OE features, so that hopefully soon the resulting
Openmoko distribution will be powerful enough to not require people to
step back into the OE world except if they want to make major changes
to the whole distribution. Internally, we can then isolate work on OE
better, while most people work with prebuilt toolchains, -dev
packages, etc.
Are we all more or less on the same page now? Mickey, what do you think?
Wolfgang