Unable to use OM build system

John Lee john_lee at openmoko.com
Sat Apr 19 20:15:43 CEST 2008

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 01:22:55PM +0100, Andy Green wrote:

> Now I heard already this infrastructure is being worked on in OE -- are
> we committed to move to it when it is available?  Is there anyone going
> to explain that the current way is preferable to this proposal or do we
> all agree we need to improve the deal offered to devs that may consider
> to casually work with this build system?
>
> - -Andy

yes om branch will stay as close as possible with oe.  so when
package-staging is ready we're going to merge it.  the idea is the
same, but it's not going to be exactly what you described here.  it
will still be oe.  it still needs bitbake.

i just wanted to take this chance to make oe work on your host so i
don't have to reply on this topic again.  obviously i failed.
personally i won't use debian unstable as om buildhost.  by the same
reason i won't choose to use oe on fedora experimental.

what you need is just development so of course you can use any tool
you like on any distro you want, as long as you get the correct
result.  namely a dm2 software linked against glib, gtk, xft and
tslib.  that's not so hard with a toolchain and all the -dev packages
on buildhost.

- John