Unable to use OM build system

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Sun Apr 20 18:57:15 CEST 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> What kind of breakage can we expect with that imagined change?

Local shared libraries not being what the cross-toolchain was built
for comes to mind. Luckily, gcc and friends don't need a lot:

ia32:

% ldd `which arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc`
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7e70000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7fb0000)

amd64:

% ldd `which arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc`
        linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007fff23dfd000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00002aff86f30000)
        /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00002aff86e14000)

gdb is a bit more demanding, though.

Another issue would be exotic build tools that change frequently
and in incompatible ways.

Any subtle quirks in other tools required during the build are
probably upstream problems. Likewise, if a common tool we need for
building that has a well-known incompatibility that for some
reason can't get fixed just by upgrading probably deserved a change
in the build process.

I like the binary-toolchain plus precompiled-cross-package installer
approach. That takes the pain away from the average developer while
still giving our distribution makers the flexibility and control they
need.

And for those items one really can't avoid building locally, a look
in the .bb file can probably provide valuable hints about any surprises
one may encounter.

- Werner