2.6.24 - time to switch

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Fri Feb 1 13:02:41 CET 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> What I would like to start doing before long -- if it isn't going to
> kill me (or you) -- is start shadowing your svn commits in a new git
> branch that maintains full history, patch log notes and so on in normal
> git style.

That sounds good to me.

> I would like to replace mokopatches with that but in fact
> since we start late in the game it would have to be a branch on top of a
> "frozen mokopatches".

Hmm, it would be good if you could find a way to already integrate
the SVN history into git. That's something we would need before we
can make a switch, so if it's not too painful to figure out how
this could be done now, why not start with a fully featured tree ?

> I thought I
> could do it off the kernel list, but you are not posting your patches to
> the list at all currently.

Every change to SVN automatically shows up in the commitlog. This is
infinitely more reliable than picking manual submissions from the
list (which may get some editing anyway). So I think that's the one
you want to use.

The only exception I could think of are server-side moves, which are
done to keep SVN from pumping out changelog with half of the
repository. This has been done to the kernel tree in recent times
only once, when the "trunk" kernel was copied to branches/.../2.6.22.x
(which is a change you probably don't care about anyway).

With the 2.6.24 switch, there may be another of these "unusual"
transactions, but that should already be the last one.

- Werner