GSM modem doesn't power off when Neo does

Mike (mwester) mwester at dls.net
Sat Feb 9 21:52:57 CET 2008

I think it's time for another attempt to address a long-standing problem
with the Neo and the current software.  Specifically, the way it works
right now, no matter how you shut down the GTA01, the GSM modem is left
powered up and running (it's wired up internally in such a fashion that
even when the kernel powers off the CPU and all else that it can on the
circuit board, the GSM modem continues to run).

This is obviously not what the user expects when the device is powered
off, but even more importantly, it's a violation that could result in
serious legal ramifications for the poor user who thinks they are
complying with airline regulations, or with construction-site blast-zone
regulations by turning off the Neo.

The workaround is simple -- after you power off the Neo, you must open
it up and remove the battery for some period of time.

A better solution is required.  We need a solution that will mimic
standard phone behavior, at a minimum.  This means that when the phone
is powered off from a normal, operational state, it should result in the
device being truly off -- including the GSM modem.  Anyone disagree with
this assertion?

IMO, it would be wise to ensure that a mechanism exists that will ensure
or at least attempt to ensure that the GSM modem is powered off when the
device is turned off from an "unusual" state, where "unusual" means a
state where gsmd, or the X-windows GUI, or other daemons are not running
or are unresponsive.  The reasoning here is that the device is currently
a development platform; it *will* crash, it *will* be used in ways
unforeseen by any of us, and the basic logic that when I shut down Linux
on the phone, the GSM modem powers off, still holds true.  After all,
the GSM modem is not like an external peripheral on my computer; it's
built in.  And when I power-off my laptop, I expect that the built-in
wifi card and modem also power-off, regardless of whether I was booted
up and running the vendor's "card manager service" software (for
example) or not...  Any have comments on this assertion?

Let's get a discussion going on this, if we can, and get a solution in
place.  I've grown tired of disassembling my Neo and removing the
battery whenever I board an airplane or power off the phone!

Regards,
Mike (mwester)

NB:  I've cc'd the gsmd-devel list, but please respond on the
distro-devel list so that everyone can participate.  Thanks.