Distribution weekly update

Kevin Dean kevin at foreverdean.info
Mon Feb 11 20:00:29 CET 2008

I think switching to the multi-tap input also sucks. At a very
minimum, a non-qwerty keyboard needs predictive input. Having to press
a key three times for a single character is not only inconvenient but
actively frustrating. I sent SMS messages using the qwerty board, I've
sent ONE SMS using the multi-tap that wasn't for testing purposes. It
speaks very ill when a design decision makes people want to use your
product less.

Specifically, the lack of the ability to press CTRL breaks MANY
functions of the terminal. Because the new input does not have a
panel-applet to call the keypad up, several of the games are now
"broken" and contributing to "bloat".

Text input in the web browser is also broken for the same reason (I
was told, I don't know this first-hand but will check on the next
nightly image).

I think a lot of people would be a bit less irritated by this change
if the decisions behind it were know. I was under the impression that
the switch was to close bug 1121, but having seen various posts and
comments on it, it appears as if this was done because the multi-tap
was considered "better". If this was done to workaround a bug, knowing
that this is temporary (until the bug is fixed) might give people some
relief. Or knowing that predicitve input and "the rest of the keys"
will be added shortly will also be relieving. The fear that the input
(as it is now) method will remain in this state is alarming, at least
to me.

-Kevin Dean