Usage of monotone.openmoko.org

Thomas Wood thomas at openedhand.com
Thu Jan 3 18:06:50 CET 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 17:32 +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Thomas Wood schreef:
>
> > Further to the discussion on bug 1152 [1], I would like to seek some
> > clarification on the use cases for monotone.openmoko.org.
> >
> > The problem hilighted in bug 1152 is that monotone.openmoko.org is not
> > currently buildable if you are using the autorev feature of bitbake.
>
> Right, that means you are mixing something that is described with
> 'frozen' with something that is described with 'bleeding edge'. I don't
> see how anyone expects that to work.

If 'frozen' is what monotone.openmoko.org is, then yes, it definitely
sounds like I shouldn't be using it.

> > This is necessary for OpenMoko developers to make sure the OpenMoko
> > components are built from the very latest revisions in SVN. Currently,
> > OpenMoko SVN depends on features not available in monotone.openmoko.org.
>
> If mtn.om.org really wants to be what it claims ('frozen', 'stable',
> 'always buildable' etc) it shouldn't be using autorev.

Right - I enabled autorev in mtn.om.org and it broke. Again, this seems
to confirm that I should be using OpenEmbedded and not
monotone.openmoko.org.

> > Secondly, I will soon have a new problem. I am currently working on
> > integrating PackageKit into an OpenMoko build. This will require updates
> > in OpenMoko package versions as it will require dbus >= 1.1.1. I have
> > already got dbus 1.1.1 added to OpenEmbedded but I am unsure what the
> > expected procedure is with regards to monotone.openmoko.org. Should I
> > integrate PackageKit into OpenEmbedded first or into
> > monotone.openmoko.org first?
>
> You mean creating an ipkg backend for PackageKit?

I've already started writing the ipkg backend and I now want to test it
out on a device. From your comments above, it  seems pretty clear I
definitely want to integrate it into OpenEmbeded first and allow
OpenMoko to catch up later.

Regards,

Thomas

--
OpenedHand Ltd.

Unit R Homesdale Business Center / 216-218 Homesdale Road /
Bromley / BR1 2QZ / UK             Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices - http://o-hand.com/