Usage of monotone.openmoko.org

Thomas Wood thomas at openedhand.com
Fri Jan 4 12:09:29 CET 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 14:00 +0800, John Lee wrote:
[...]
> If we want to use OM mtn for development, the policy should be clear
> that ALL OM related packages cannot commit code that depends on
> upstream OE instead of OM mtn.  There's no way we could maintain a
> stable daily build if we keep changing the outside dependency.
>
> Your comments?

Sounds fine to me, as long as it is clear to all OpenMoko core
developers. I would imagine some sort of procedure describing what to do
when things break would be good as well. For example, do we: revert the
changes in openmoko-terminal, fix OM mtn at a particular revision of
openmoko-terminal until the next time OM mtn is synched with OE, or
update OM mtn straight away?

> > Secondly, I will soon have a new problem. I am currently working on
> > integrating PackageKit into an OpenMoko build. This will require updates
> > in OpenMoko package versions as it will require dbus >= 1.1.1. I have
> > already got dbus 1.1.1 added to OpenEmbedded but I am unsure what the
> > expected procedure is with regards to monotone.openmoko.org. Should I
> > integrate PackageKit into OpenEmbedded first or into
> > monotone.openmoko.org first?
>
> This is rather a grey area for me.  If dbus >= 1.1.1 is a requirement
> that you cannot integrate PackageKit without it, I will lean toward
> commit to OM first, make sure the latest version builds, then merge
> upstream.  Commit to OE really seems reasonable but that will break
> daily builds and I really hope moko-autorev.inc + OM mtn works.

I can see that using doing development in OM mtn would cause problems,
because of possible conflicts when re-syncing with OE. Perhaps for that
reason it would be best for development to stay upstream in OE? That way
there is only one source of changes for OM mtn and therefore no issues
with conflicts.

Regards,

Thomas

--
OpenedHand Ltd.

Unit R Homesdale Business Center / 216-218 Homesdale Road /
Bromley / BR1 2QZ / UK             Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices - http://o-hand.com/