userland boot time

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Mon Jan 21 16:59:39 CET 2008

Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> sure. but even here there are stages - the bit where x comes up and displays a
> fixed ppm to keep u amused - and then you watch that sit there for a while
> until the windowmanager and god knows what else get their act together. by the
> look of things this could also be improved. who need the xdefaults stuff
> anymore - for example?   settings-dameon is a heavy beastie too. it links a
> lot of shared libs i seriously doubt it needs to do its core job. it's sucked
> in libpng, zlib, freetype, pango. libxfixes, xcurso, randr.... when all it does
> is read data form gconf (which is probably what sucks all these in) can set x
> properties. removing gconf all it needs is libX11 and libc really. so as part
> of this glib fun we get gconv internationalization init stuff (settings-daemon
> has no need to worry about translations), a bunch of dbus-launch stuff (not
> sure where that came from) that should really have been done as the parent
> process to the xsession, not as children to settings-daemon, then running xrdb
> AGAIN in addition to the xrdb run by the startup scripts... all of this
> shenanigans takes about 15 seconds of wall-clock time.

Two interesting approaches to "fix" this would be:

a) Ditch X and write a nice and fast, framebuffer-based SmartPhone application
controller. [yes, accelleration may be a problem here]

Or

b) Come up with a framebuffer-based interface, launch X in the
backround on another VT, then switch seamlessly to it.

Regards,

:M:

--
Dr. Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | IT-Freelancer | http://www.vanille-media.de