userland boot time

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Mon Jan 21 17:07:38 CET 2008

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:

> so we need to address this in 2 parts. sysvinit etc. is only 1. the actual user
> xsession is another. so /etc/X11/Xserver needs some love and attention too. and
> thus /etc/X11/Xsession and /etc/X11/Xsession.d/*

Could some of this not be paralleled via init too?
Most of the stuff here just needs X up and running, that's the reason
why it is there.
Stick a 'depends on X' on every task there and let it be run by init
after X has booted. Most of the things in startup scripts are mandatory,
but very less of them need to run sequentially...
I guess the only problem would be inheriting a X environment for these
scripts. Not a problem, more the fact that we would have to hack
something here... :)

One benefit i would see is, that often just the WM crashes but X is
running fine. With any init that can restart services, we could just
fire up the WM again and be good.
Sadly this happened some times with my system, i think one of the panels
put the wm down with itself.

Clearly, i'm not suggesting to dissect all of the Xsession scripts to
the last line, but some of the things that come up in this stage are
more or less just deamons too, which would fit nicely into a modern-init
based startup. And could be supervised by a service monitor for
restarting them after crash.