Please update assassin version on ASU.dev

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Mon Jun 30 02:47:38 CEST 2008

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 09:13:09 +0200 Holger Freyther <zecke at openmoko.org> babbled:

> On Friday 27 June 2008 06:31:53 Tick Chen wrote:
> > Hi Julian,
> > 	Please update the assassin version to 174
> > and add the DEPENDS of curl to assassin.
> >
> > changes:
> > 	Adding a very ugly network check quick hack by accessing
> > 		downloads.openmoko.org directly
> > 	This allow assassin detect if it can access the repository
> > directly.
> > 	(This shall be down through opkg and packagekit later)
>
> Why do we need such hacks? What does it solve?

to know if you have a usable network that can actually access repositories. you
can only know reliably by trying. just because you have an ip address assigned
doesn't mean your network works (you hay have massive packet loss or no signal,
you may have connected to a private internal network that doesn't route out to
the internet etc.). you may have a firewall or proxy in the way too. no way i
know of at least to know if you can get out and connect to a particular
location without actually trying. :)