SRCREV and git packages

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Mon May 12 13:01:41 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 12:24 +0800, John Lee wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 08:20:56PM +0200, Holger Freyther wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > we, as in Openmoko, have preferred SRCDATE for git based recipes over SRCREV
> > for one simple reason. We need an increasing number for the package version
> > and for git we made a number up and stored it within the tmp directory.
> > Removing the tmp directory removed that numbers and we had new packages going
> > back.
> >
> > To partially avoid this issue. Get the latest Bitbake from the bitbake-1.8
> > branch and put something like this [1] into your local.conf. This will put
> > the persistent data into your home directory and you can wipe the tmp dir
> > without losing this. Another approach is coming soon as well.
>
> Actually I use SRCDATE in openmoko-linux because I want a increasing
> number even across different repositories.  The persistent data is
> specific to the build machine so I decided not to use that.

Another random thought, how about injecting DATETIME into PV, so you'd
end up with something like:

DATETIME-LOCALREV-SHASUM ?

This means you'd always get increasing numbers but also get the features
of SRCREV. Only changing DATETIME if the revision has changed shouldn't
be too difficult to implement within the existing infrastructure...

Cheers,

Richard