get rid of console messages!

Mike (mwester) mwester at dls.net
Thu May 15 16:57:42 CEST 2008

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> ok 2 things.
>
> 1. uboot env needs to get rid of "console=tty0" from any boot parames
> preferably something like:
>
>   bootargs_base=console=ttySAC2,115200 loglevel=8
>
> that's it.

Removing "console=tty0" results in the output from the startup scripts and
processes started from those scripts being directed to the standard tty device
associated with ttySAC0 on the GTA01 -- resulting in this output being
intermingled with the data intended for the GSM.  Since this is being output to
the tty, not the console, there is no way to prevent this from inside the kernel.

So clearly this will not work for the GTA01.  Someone needs to verify that on
the GTA02, this output will be directed to the tty associated with ttySAC2
(which is harmless on the GTA02), and not ttySAC0 (where it will be sent to the
GSM just like the GTA01).

[Sorry to dump this on somebody else, I'd test this myself but I don't have a
GTA02.]

> 2. initscripts provides:
>
>   initscripts - 1.0-r105 - /etc/init.d/banner
>
> this is used in rcS.d:
>
>   /etc/rcS.d/S02banner
>
> which annoyingly displays some useful text on the console tty to the effect of:
>
>   echo "Please wait: booting..." > $vtmaster
>
> no thanks!  :) need our consoles blissfully clear of any text spewing forth
> from the kernel and init scripts. :) boot speeds up - and things stay clean.
> this way only the bootsplash (psplash or exquisite) play with your display on
> boot until x gets its bum into gear and then its x apps from there on in.
>
> :)

Mike (mwester)