Main page change notification

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Aug 1 19:23:55 CEST 2008

Minh Ha Duong wrote:

>   I just landed a big update to the main page !
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Main_Page

I think that it's a vast improvement, and you've done a great job in cutting
through the accumulation of old content.

> Hope you like it. Thanks to Ferenc, Bernt, Mercury, Montgoss and Stryderjzw
> for helping. Please express yourself by improving it further as you see
> fit. It definitely can use more polish:
>
> - The layout has been tested with Firefox and Konqueror only.

It seems to look good in the versions of Firefox and Konqueror that I have
access to.

> - Obviously feeding the news automatically from an RSS flow would be
> better, as Aaron said. Pending that there will be a need to feed the
> newsbox manually.

I guess that there's some RSS plug-in for MediaWiki. My experiences with
similar issues in MoinMoin led me to write a feed reader for that Wiki, but
sometimes the personal touch of adding news manually is almost as convenient,
especially if the Wiki is the first place that people look.

[...]

Another subject which came up was the "Main Page" title and whether it can be
suppressed. I'm no MediaWiki expert, but one approach might involve actually
creating a page called "Welcome to Openmoko" and then making that the main
page:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:FAQ#How_do_I_change_which_page_is_the_main_page.3F

It's something of a hack, but the visual effect may be good enough. Obviously,
you would then drop the heading with that text from the page content. And you
might want to have a redirect from Main_Page, too.

I hope this is useful advice!

Paul