Language Bar Broken?

Cesar Eduardo Barros cesarb at cesarb.net
Tue Aug 5 13:51:54 CEST 2008

Ferenc Veres escreveu:
> Cesar Eduardo Barros wrote:
>> While it's possible to add links to the sidebar ([[MediaWiki:Sidebar]]),
>> I do not think they can depend on the current page (i.e. on
>
> Why? "I do not think" sounds like it could be possible, but you didn't
> try yet. :-) So we still have some hope.

Yes, I didn't try. But based on what I know of how MediaWiki's caching
works, I wouldn't expect it to work (it caches parts of the page
independently; in particular, the part with the content is cached
separately, which you can see clearly in the "Saved in parser cache with
key ..." comment on every page).

> If that works, you can copy the whole
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/index.php?title=Template:Languages&action=edit
> to a new bulleted list in the sidebar. (Unfortunately it will push
> Search way too down, we will need the wiki admin to add ANOTHER sidebar
> instead extending the current one? Is there a way to add a second
> sidebar, below Search and Toolbox?)

On 1.13 (OM uses 1.12 according to [[Special:Version]]) there is a way
to set the placement of search and toolbox within the sidebar, but only
on the standard sidebar coding (something seems to have been changed in
the OM wiki to make it use the full wikitext coding, which probably
disables that trick). See
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Interface/Sidebar#Order_of_elements
for how it's supposed to be done.

If the skin was hacked to make it use the wikitext coding, I'd expect it
would be easy to alter the hack to also read from another system message
for another part of the sidebar.

--
Cesar Eduardo Barros
cesarb at cesarb.net