New Wiki System: Deki Wiki

Brian C brianwc at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Jul 22 09:09:17 CEST 2008

Christopher Rawlings wrote:
> I'm not sure what the wiki reorg will entail, but is a move to a
> different wiki system a consideration?  If it is, then Deki Wiki (made
> by Mindtouch) would most certainly benefit the Openmoko documentation
> efforts.  I can't begin to explain how much better it is than any
> other wiki out there.

Wow.  Thanks for pointing to that, as even if this group doesn't adopt
it, I'm glad to know about it.  That does look leaps and bounds beyond
any wiki software I've ever used or seen.

I'm not sure whether a switch would be a net gain or loss for the
OpenMoko wiki right now.  Perhaps it could be set up in a sandbox
somewhere for people to play with, migrating over the best content, and
as things progressed we could decide whether it was worthwhile to adopt.

However, this sort of transition state shouldn't be allowed to persist
long or we'd end up seeing some content on one wiki and other content
only on the other wiki and that fragmentation would cause a net loss for
the usefulness and/or accessibility of information on the wiki(s).

The documentation team already has an enormous task before it just to
organize the existing information and provide other needed information
that doesn't yet exist.  It's tough to say whether a better tool would
make that process easier or just complicate matters.  Amazing looking
software in either case...

Brian

P.S. Why doesn't "reply" default to the list address on this list?