New Wiki System: Deki Wiki

Joachim Steiger roh at openmoko.org
Tue Jul 22 14:16:05 CEST 2008

> Deki Wiki Feature Overview (also see
> http://wiki.mindtouch.com/MindTouch_Deki/Features):

sorry to answer that question so briefly only.

we admins are in enough pain with mediawiki and its dependency for php
as it is.

but any software needing mono or java, and still using php is totally
out of the question, especially if it would not get us much gain
compared to the mediawiki.

sure. mediawiki sucks sometimes. but replacing one big green, slimly,
ugly monster with another one is and will never be my goal.
to be fair, when there would have been a sane way to migrate mediawiki
to something better, we would have probably done it already.

to make it even more clear: every php install i can kill, i do.

for a little story:
when we were searching for a new webshop for openmoko, we also have seen
hordes of php wannabe-shops and os-commerce and its forks. not only that
this software often seems to be written with exploitability in mind,
(sorry, who can be so stupid to put credit card data of customers in the
same db as php templated and 'plugins' (executable code)), often they
even require stupid settings like register globals and so on...

so 'no harm intended', but using any more php webapps is definitively
what i try to avert.

kind regards

--

Joachim Steiger