Official Openmoko Forums

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 12:30:29 CEST 2008

Hello,

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Christopher Rawlings <rawlinc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Seeing as the documentation list is not just for wiki documentation
> but all documentation related to Openmoko, I figured I'd post this
> here.
>
> I don't mean to keep ruffling feathers so-to-speak, but....Now that
> the Freerunner has shipped and more people have devices in their
> hands, what is the chance of getting an official forum on
> openmoko.org?

In my opinion - it isn't worth the time to try to get forums going
again. Read below for why I think so.

> community that a forum can provide.  I know there are some unofficial
> forums out there listed on the wiki but there is very little traffic
> on them.  The only way this will work properly is if Openmoko adds a
> forum to openmoko.org and it gets listed towards the top of the page
> along with Wiki, Docs, Planet, Lists, etc.

In my view - the "unofficial" forums have proved that forums don't
work for this community. Despite a long and lively discussion, very
few people posts information, questions, etc on the forums. I know
that forums work well for other communities, they just doesn't work
for *this* community.
IMO, adding an "official" forum isn't going to change that.

And as Ian wrote, simply adding more "places" for people to find
information and ask questions isn't going to decrease confusion.

IMO, the wiki maintainers team needs to focus on the wiki effort.

If another team wants to create and maintain forums, please do so.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen